Back To Blog

What is Mold?


We often think of mold as either a horrid musky smell often associated with older homes and basements or, we see the once light-colored shower grout is now black, YUCK!  Mold grows undetected. Most people don’t realize they have a problem because they can’t see it at the beginning or ever.  Mold is not visible until it creates a super-colony of fruiting structures. Often the building’s occupants will live quite happily until one day a family member becomes sick with a diagnosed issue and no underlying cause.

Mold can start to grow within 24 to 48 hours when exposed to its ideal climate. Water damage of any kind or size can be the fuel. For most there is a long and arduous path to recovery affected by undetected mold in their environment.  According to Edward R Close, Phd and Jacquelyn Close, RA Authors of Nature’s Mold RX the Non-Toxic Solution to Toxic Mold, “Molds are probably the most successful life from on earth or at least right up there with insects and bacteria”.         


Did you know Mold isn’t always black? If you think mold isn’t dangerous because it’s not black, think again. Regardless of it’s yellow, pink, white or even brown and green color be afraid, very afraid. Regardless of the color, mold propagated by airborne spores will settle and produce new colonies wherever conditions provide enough moisture and food sources. Moisture can be a leak from faulty plumbing or windows not sealed well, condensation coming from an air-conditioning unit or other humidifier and high levels of humidity. What is mold’s food source: wood or painted windowsills, drywall, paper, wallpaper, ceiling titles, fabric, carpet, cardboard, insulation, wet grout, you name it it’s probably a food source. 

Black mold is usually associated as Stachybotrys which is a toxic strain that effects many in various ways. According to  Aer Industries  there are 12 common types of mold in homes.  Acremonium mold is a toxigenic mold type. It first starts out as a small moist mold that turns into a fine powdery substance. Acremonium mold is often pink, grey, orange or white in color. Aureobasidium is an allergenic mold that can sometimes be found growing behind wallpaper or on painted or wooden surfaces. Aureobasidium usually develops in pink, brown or black color. The primary health risk of aureobasidium is its ability to cause infections of eye, skin and nails. Because of its potential to cause dermatitis (skin rash), it should never be touched directly with bare skin. Read more here

 Beside the health issues to many hundreds of thousands of people in the united states who don’t realize mold is lurking in their environment and may be the underlying cause to their health challenge is, the misconception of many that bleach will kill the mold spores. It is stated in Nature’s Mold RX, bleach, long recommended for cleaning moldy surfaces contains only 3% to 6% sodium hypochlorite, because it is so caustic and dangerous. Bleach kills mold on nonporous surfaces but not on porous surfaces and does nothing to the spores that are in the air. Application of liquid bleach to porous mold infested materials will bleach the spores but not kill them. In fact, when the solution dries, generally within a few hours mold can rebound!

Stay tuned for the next Mold blog to learn more about health challenges.

Add Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be patient if your comment does not appear immediately. Thank you.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


  1. No comments. Be the first to comment.